Easter is almost here, and this fun, last-minute project was inspired by these burlap bunny napkin rings I saw at Pier 1. With just a few supplies from the local craft store, this project was up and running in no time! It’s really easy to do, and I think this could be a fun project for the kiddos (with an adult to help with the scissors).
DIY Bunny Napkin Rings
For this project you’ll need:
8.5 x 11 sheets of white felt
8.5 x 11 sheets of pink felt
1 inch white pom poms
.5 inch pink pom poms
.2 black pom poms (or small wiggle eyes if you prefer)
Sticky Back VELCRO squares (I used 7/8 inch)
– On the short side of the felt sheet, use the scissors to cut a strip of white felt approximately 2 inches wide.
– Then cut approximately 1 inch off the end (unless you have really fat napkins)
– Fold the longer piece (now 2 x7 inches) in half
– Fold over the end approximately 1/4 inch. Use the scissors to cut a slit in the folded over part. When you unfold the felt strip, there should be two small holes
– Fold over a white felt piece and cut “ears” in the length you desire
– Using the white “ears” as a guide, cut the same size piece out of the pink felt (folded)
– Trim the pink felt a little on all sides so it’s no longer joined in the middle AND so there’s white on all edges (NOT SHOWN)
– Thread one white “ear” through one slit of the felt strip
– Do the same with the other ear and adjust as needed to make even
– Using felt glue, attach the pink felt pieces to the white “ears”
– Use the glue to attach a large white pom in the back (for the tail), a medium pink pom (for the nose) and two small black poms (or wiggle eyes- for the eyes)
Side note: This would be really cute if you wanted to make bunnies with different colors – just make the pom color for the nose match the felt! Wouldn’t it be fun in different colors around the kids’ table? Red, green, blue, orange?
– Affix one side of the VELCRO sticky back squares to one side of the felt strip
– Roll the felt strip (as it were wrapped around a napkin) and affix the other VELCRO piece
– Wrap around your napkins and set at each place setting. Since the ears are pliable, you can also position them in different ways – something unique for every guest!
Easter table decorations? Check! Now to decide on the menu…
Happy early Easter!